LIHI Certificate #80 - Gardners Falls Project, Massachusetts
|Project Name||Gardners Falls|
|LIHI Certificate No.||80|
|LIHI Certificate Term||February 18, 2016 - February 18, 2021|
|Owner||Central Rivers Power MA, LLC|
|Location||Located at approximate river mile 15.8 on the Deerfield River, in the towns of Buckland and Shelburne in Franklin County, Massachusetts.|
|Installed Capacity||3.58 MW|
|Average Annual Generation||8,383 MWH|
|Facility Type||Limited pond-and-release mode|
|FERC No.||P-2234 issued 1997, expires 2037|
December 13, 2017: The 30-day appeal window closed for the preliminary decision of the Gardners Falls Hydroelectric project on December 5th, 2017 with no appeals to the decision received. The Recertification decision is therefore final.
The new term of Low Impact Certification for the Gardners Falls Hydroelectric Project is February 18, 2016 extending for a five (5) year term which will expire on February 18, 2021.
November 7, 2017: LIHI has issued a Preliminary Certification Decision that the Gardners Falls Hydroelectric Project continues to satisfy the LIHI Certification Criteria. The Certification includes three facility-specific conditions, as follows:
- Condition satisfied in 2019. Condition 1. The Owner shall complete a review of historic resources that may be affected by the proposed repair to the facility’s powerhouse, pursuant to section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. The Owner shall notify LIHI of any recommendations or agreements within 30 days of the completion of the SHPO’s review or signed agreements.
- Condition 2. For the term of this new LIHI certification, the Owner shall continue the current operations that provide a 150-cfs minimum flow to the bypassed reach via a combination of releases from the fish passage gate and from spillage over the dam. If any changes are proposed in these releases during the term of this certification, the Owner shall coordinate with appropriate fisheries management agencies in designing these changes and then notify LIHI no less than 60 days before a change is implemented. A detailed operational plan for the new flow regime shall be provided to LIHI at the time of notification, if changes are to occur.
- Condition satisfied in 2020. Condition 3. The Owner shall make all currently needed repairs to recreation facilities and amenities prior to the summer 2018 recreation season or within 60 days of completion of the current construction project, and provide LIHI with an update on the status of those repairs in the 2018 annual compliance statement and in the 2019 compliance statement if construction remains in progress in February 2018. (condition is ongoing pending additional effort as a result of 2019 site visits).
The LIHI Handbook states that all decisions are subject to a 30-day appeal window. Only parties that submitted comments during the 60-day public review period for the project application have standing to appeal. Any appeal request must include specific reasons why the appellant believes the hydropower facility does not meet one or more criteria.
Appeal requests may be submitted to the Institute by e-mail at email@example.com with "Gardners Falls Hydroelectric Project Appeal Request” in the subject line, or by mail addressed to the Low Impact Hydropower Institute, 329 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 2, Lexington, MA 02420. Comments must be received at the Institute on or before 5 pm Eastern time on December 5, 2017 to be considered. More details on the appeal process can be found in our Handbook available HERE.
If no appeal is requested within the 30-day period, on December 7th, 2017 at 5:00pm EST, the Executive Director will issue the final certification for the facility and post a notification of certification on the LIHI website. Once final, the effective certification date for the Gardners Falls Hydroelectric Project is retroactive to the prior certificate’s expiration date of February 18, 2016 extending for a five (5) year term which will expire on February 18, 2021.
June 13, 2017 - The Low Impact Hydropower Institute has received a complete application for a new term of Low Impact Certification for the Gardners Falls Hydroelectric Project. The Gardners Falls Hydroelectric Project is located in the towns of Buckland and Shelburne, Franklin County, Massachusetts, on the Deerfield River. The 2017 application materials can be found below.
LIHI is seeking public comment on this application. Specifically, we are interested in knowing whether you think the Gardners Falls project meets the LIHI Low Impact Certification Criteria, as revised in the 2nd Edition Handbook released in March 2016. Please review the program and criteria in LIHI’s revised Handbook and then review the Project’s 2017 application materials posted on the project page.
Comments that are directly tied to specific LIHI criteria (flows, water quality, fish passage, etc.) will be most helpful, but all comments will be considered. Comments may be submitted to the Institute by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Gardners Falls Comments” in the subject line, or by mail addressed to the Low Impact Hydropower Institute, 329 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 2, Lexington, MA 02420. Comments must be received at the Institute on or before 5 pm Eastern time on August 13, 2017 to be considered. All comments will be posted to the web site and the applicant will have an opportunity to respond. Any response will also be posted.
October 31, 2011: The Gardners Falls Hydroelectric project has been certified as low impact for a five year term, effective February 18, 2011 and expiring February 18, 2016.
February 18, 2011: The North American Energy Alliance (NAEA) has submitted an application for the certification of the Gardners Falls Hydroelectric Project. Public comment period for the application will stay open for 60 days.
- 20170828-FL-Gardners Falls Stage II Reviewers Report complete
- Gardners Falls Re-Certification Application
- Gardners Falls Re-Certification Application attachments
- Gardners Falls Re-Certification Application plus appendices
- CRC comments Gardner Falls LIHI 08-09-17
- Gardners Falls Applicant Response to CRC Comment Letter
- Appendix 1-2 FERC Order 1998_05_04 (19980504-3084(1398144))
- Appendix 1-3 FERC Order 1998_05_04 (19980504-3085(1398148))
- Appendix 1-5 FERC Order 1998_08_04 (19980804-0468(1403339))
- Appendix 1-6 FERC Order 1998_11_18 (19981118-0426(1409032))
- Appendix 1-8 FERC Order 2001_04_18 (20010419-0547(701210))
- Appendix 1-9 FERC Order 2001_06_14 (20010615-0330(602429))
- Appendix 1-11 Memorandum of Agreement
- Appendix 1-12 FERC Environmental Inspection Report_2004_10_26
- Appendix C-1 Fish Passage Effectivenes Study
- Appendix F-1 Cultural Resources Plan (20100414-0020(23669121))
- Appendix G-2 Existing Recreational Facilities
- Gardners Falls Application Letter and Appendices (Final - Pictures)
- Gardners Falls Questionnaire (2)
- CRWC Gardner Falls LIHI 04-18-11
- Gardners Falls LIHI comments
- Kubit Letter
- MDEP Water Quality Certificate (1994-12-14)