LIHI Certificate #86 - Open Square Project, Massachusetts
|Project Name||Open Square|
|LIHI Certificate No.||86|
|LIHI Certificate Term||December 5, 2016 - December 5, 2026|
|Owner||Open Square Properties, LLC|
|Location||Located on the Connecticut River and the Holyoke Canal System.|
|Installed Capacity||0.54 MW|
|Average Annual Generation||3,000 MWh|
|FERC No.||n/a, FERC non-jurisdictional|
Certification HistoryOctober 3, 2017: On October 3, 2017, the 30-day appeal window for the preliminary decision to recertify the Open Square Hydroelectric Project ended with no appeals filed. The recertification decision is therefore final. The term of Low Impact Certification for the Open Square Hydroelectric Project is from December 5, 2016 and expires on December 5, 2026. August 25, 2017: On August 24th, LIHI issued a Preliminary Decision that the Open Square Hydroelectric Project continues to meet LIHI Low Impact Certification Criteria. The Certification includes two facility-specific conditions:
- Satisfied in 2020 - Condition 1: The Owner shall monitor the status of the studies being conducted evaluating impacts to American eel and other resident species living in the canal system for the re-licensing of the Holyoke Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Projects (FERC Projects P-2386, 2387 and 2388, respectively). When a new license is issued to these facilities, the Owner shall notify LIHI of the issuance date(s). At that time, LIHI will re-assess whether or not impacts are likely occurring at Open Square, and if so, will consider actions that may be needed at Open Square to maintain its LIHI certification.
- Condition 2 (carried forward from 2012 certification): The Owner shall cooperate with the City of Holyoke in the planning and development of the Holyoke Canal Walk. Such cooperation shall accommodate the project’s planned completion within 12-18 months. The status of cooperation for this Canal Walk related bridge project shall be provided to LIHI within 45 days of reaching a mutually agreeable understanding. A summary of further coordination activities shall be provided in the annual reports to LIHI.
As provided for in Section 4.2.5 of the LIHI 2nd Edition Handbook, the Preliminary Certification Decision, along with the Application Reviewer’s report and (if prepared) report of the Executive Director, will be posted on the Institute’s Web page for 30 days. Notice of the posting will be provided to all individuals or organizations that commented on the initial Application Package. Any Commenter may submit a letter to the Executive Director requesting an appeal within the 30-day period. The appeal request must state specific reasons why the hydropower facility should have failed one or more criteria. Only individuals or organizations that commented on the initial Application Package may file an appeal. In addition, applicants may appeal conditions or decisions in a similar manner. Further information about the LIHI appeal process is available in the LIHI Handbook, available at https://lowimpacthydro.org/certification-program-html/.
If no appeal is requested within the 30-day period, the Executive Director will issue the final certification for the facility and post a notification of certification on the LIHI website. Once final, the effective certification date for the Open Square Hydroelectric Project is December 5, 2016 for a ten(10) year term which will expire on December 5, 2026.
June 7, 2017: The Low Impact Hydropower Institute has received a complete application for a new term of Low Impact Certification for the Open Square Hydroelectric Facility. The Open Square Hydroelectric Facility is located in the town of Holyoke, Hampden County, Massachusetts, on the Connecticut River.
LIHI is seeking public comment on this application. Specifically, we are interested in knowing whether you think the Open Square project meets the LIHI Low Impact Certification Criteria, as revised in the 2nd Edition Handbook released in March 2016. Please review the program and criteria in LIHI’s revised Handbook and then review the Project’s 2017 application materials posted on the project page.
Comments that are directly tied to specific LIHI criteria (flows, water quality, fish passage, etc.) will be most helpful, but all comments will be considered. Comments may be submitted to the Institute by e-mail at email@example.com with “Open Square Comments” in the subject line, or by mail addressed to the Low Impact Hydropower Institute, 329 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 2, Lexington, MA 02420. Comments must be received at the Institute on or before 5 pm Eastern time on September 25, 2017 to be considered. All comments will be posted to the web site and the applicant will have an opportunity to respond. Any response will also be posted.
May 3, 2012: The Open Square Hydroelectric Project has been certified as low impact for a five year term, effective December 5, 2011 and expiring December 5, 2016. The following conditions were included with the certificate:
- Satisfied (incorporated into standard compliance statement requirements). Open Square Properties LLC shall consult with, and obtain approval from, the State Historic Preservation Office for activities that may have an adverse affect on cultural resources, including excavation, demolition, and structural alteration. Information on such activities shall be included in the annual reports filed with LIHI.
- Open Square Properties LLC shall continue to cooperate with the City of Holyoke in the planning and development of the Holyoke Canal Walk, including the grant of easements under reasonable terms. The status of negotiations and construction scheduling shall be provided in the annual reports to LIHI.
- Satisfied. If it determines that the project(s) owned and operated by the Holyoke Gas & Electric Department (Hadley Falls station on the Connecticut River and sixteen stations on the Holyoke Canal System) do not qualify for certification, LIHI reserves the right to revoke this certification.
- Satisfied. If within three months from the date of issuance of this certification the Holyoke Gas & Electric Department does not have in place an agency-approved downstream fish passage plan and implementation schedule, this certification shall be suspended effective three months from the date of issuance, and it shall remain suspended until LIHI notifies Open Square Properties LLC that such a plan and schedule have been approved by the agencies and that the suspension is lifted. During the period of suspension, Open Square Properties LLC shall not employ the certification in marketing the power produced.
LIHI reserves the right to suspend certification if the above steps are not completed, if no agreement is reached with the agencies, or if required measures to ensure downstream passage that is appropriately protective of the Atlantic salmon resource, are not made by April 1, 2013.
February 5, 2012: Public comment period on application has been closed.
December 5, 2011: Open Square Properties has submitted an application for the certification of the Open Square Hydroelectric Project. Public comment period has been opened.
- Open Square Recertification Application 2017
- Open Square Recertification Review Report
- US Fish and Wildlife Service Letter