January 3, 2020: The Low Impact Hydropower Institute has received a complete application for Low Impact Certification of the Milo Hydroelectric Project. LIHI is seeking public comment on this application. Specifically, we are interested in knowing whether you think the Project meets the LIHI Low Impact Certification Criteria, as revised in the 2nd Edition Handbook. Please review the program and criteria in LIHI’s revised Handbook and then review the Project’s application materials below.
Comments that are directly tied to specific LIHI criteria (flows, water quality, fish passage, etc.) will be most helpful, but all comments will be considered. Comments may be submitted to the Institute by e-mail at email@example.com with “Milo Project Comments” in the subject line, or by mail addressed to the Low Impact Hydropower Institute, 329 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 6, Lexington, MA 02420. Comments must be received on or before 5 pm Eastern time on March 3, 2020 to be considered. All comments will be posted to the web site and the applicant will have an opportunity to respond. Any response will also be posted.
The Milo Hydroelectric Project is located on the Sebec River, approximately two river miles upstream of its confluence with the Piscataquis River, in the town of Milo, Piscataquis County, Maine. The Project is owned by KEI (Maine) Power Management (II) LLC and operated by KEI (USA) Power Management Inc. and was granted a non- conduit exemption by FERC on February 23, 1982. Since its issuance, the exemption has been amended twice – by FERC orders dated June 18, 1996 and March 17, 1998 – to more accurately reflect as-built Project facilities and operating capacities.
An original dam was constructed at the Project site in 1823 and subsequently provided power for half a dozen mills along the Sebec River, including at least one saw mill, grist mill, spool and excelsior mill, and a woolen mill over the next century. In 1920, Milo Electric Light and Power Company installed two Morgan Smith turbines at the site, with multiple upgrades occurring over the next decade. At the time of Swift River Company’s application to redevelop the site, many repairs to the existing dam structures and redesign of generation facilities to accommodate a run- of-river water power operation were necessary. Once approved, current facilities were constructed late 1982 and initiated for service on December 26, 1982.
Project works include: (1) an 8-foot high L shaped spillway topped with 1-foot high flashboards consisting of two overflow rock filled timber crib spillway sections measuring respectively 50 feet long and 170 feet long, (2) a small spillway concrete section located at the meeting point of the two spillway section, (3) a power canal separated of the original river channel by an earthen berm, (4) a 20-foot long and 43-foot wide powerhouse containing three turbine/generating units with a total installed capacity of 695 kW, (5) a tailrace channel running parallel to the original river channel and joining it 750 feet downstream, (6) a 50-acre reservoir with a net storage capacity of 97 acre-feet at a pond elevation of 279 feet above mean sea level (msl) that extends approximately 4.4 miles, and (7) a powerhouse containing three generating units: Units 1 and 3 with a generator nameplate capacity of 235 kW each, and Unit 2 with a generator nameplate capacity of 235 kW. The Project generates approximately 2,078 MWh annually.
The Project is operated as a run-of-river facility, with minimum flows of 25 cubic feet per second (cfs) in the east channel (powerhouse tailrace) and 50 cfs in the west channel (bypassed channel).
|Owner||KEI (Maine) Power Management (III) LLC|
|Location||River Mile 2 Sebec River|
|Installed Capacity||0.695 MW|
|Average Annual Generation||2,078 MWh|
|Facility Type||Run of river|
|FERC No.||5647, exempt|