The Glendale Project consists of: (a) a 250-foot-long, 30-foot-high concrete gravity dam with a 182-foot-long spillway and a gatehouse containing two manually-operated 10- by 10-footsquare canal intake gates and a waste gate slot equipped with two 8- by 8-foot-square waste gates; (b) a new 165-kW turbine generating unit downstream of the gatehouse equipped with new trash racks with 1-inch clear spacing; (c) a 23-acre reservoir with a normal water surface elevation of 810.9 feet National Geodetic Vertical Datum (NGVD); (d) a 1,500-foot-long, 40foot-wide intake canal; (e) a forebay structure (with trash racks with 1-inch clear bar spacing) and one hydraulically-operated canal waste gate; (f) a 250-foot-long, 12-foot-diameter steel penstock; (g) a powerhouse with four identical turbine generating units with a combined installed capacity of 1,140 kW; (h) a 300-foot-long tailrace channel; (i) a 2,500 foot long bypass reach between the dam and the tailrace; (j) step-up transformer and 83-foot-long, 13.8-kilovolt transmission line; (k) a canoe portage with associated parking; and (l) appurtenant facilities.
|LIHI Certificate Number||115|
|LIHI Effective and Expiration Dates||April 1, 2014 to April 1, 2019
Extended to October 1, 2019
|Owner||Hitchcock Hydro, LLC|
|Location||Located at Housatonic River Mile 122 in the town of Stockbridge, Berkshire County, MA.|
|Installed Capacity||1.14 MW|
|Average Annual Generation||5,000 MWH|
The project’s powerhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its engineering and industrial uses from 1900 to 1924. The canoe portage extends from the north impoundment shore near the canal gatehouse along the north shore of the canal, across the canal bridge and down the south canal dike to the bypass reach. The access at the bypassed reach serves as both a put-in site for canoeists and an access point for bank fishing. The dam access road from Glendale Road (Route 183) is used to access a parking area adjacent to the canal. The parking area serves those using the canoe portage as well as those using the bypassed reach access for bank fishing.
The Glendale Project operates four identical turbine generator units with each unit’s minimum hydraulic capacity equal to 55 cfs and maximum hydraulic capacity equal to 100 cfs. The Glendale Project provides a continuous minimum flow of 90 cfs or inflow, if less, into the bypass river reach for the protection and enhancement of fish and aquatic life habitat. River flows above the required bypass flow are used for generation. The Glendale Project is operated in a run-of-river mode through use of an automatic pond level control. The project currently maintains compliance with the 90 cfs bypass minimum flow requirement via flows over the spillway crest. Upon completion of the new minimum flow unit which has a hydraulic capacity of 90cfs, bypass flows will be maintained through the new unit. Bypass flows will be supplied over the spillway when the unit is non-operational or through an automated bypass gate programmed to open upon the unit being taken off-line. All inflow in excess of the total maximum hydraulic capacity of the four turbine generating units and minimum flow unit (490 cfs) is passed over the dam. The project reservoir is not normally drawn below the dam crest. As required by the FERC operation license and state WQC, during refilling of the project reservoir after dam maintenance or emergency drawdown, the project is operated such that 90% of inflow to the project is released below the project and the impoundment is refilled on the remaining 10% of inflow.
June 23, 2014: The Glendale Project is certified as low impact for a five-year term effective April 1, 2014 and expiring April 1, 2019.
May 30, 2014: Public comment period on application is closed.
May 28, 2014: The Low Impact Hydropower Institute received a comment letter from Dennis Regan of the Housatonic Valley Association regarding the certification of the Glendale Project.
April 1, 2014: Littleville Power Company, Inc., a subsidiary of ENEL Green Power North America, submitted an application for the certification of the Glendale Project; public comment period opened.
- 20140613-FL-Glendale-Certification Report-01
- P-2801 Glendale LIHI Application_Questionnaire_021914
- Basin Map
- Glendale FERC Subsequent License 2801
- New Generation
- Attachment C – Fish Passage
- Attachment D – Shoreline Protection
- Attachment E – Threatened & Endangered Species
- Attachment F – Cultural Resources Management Plan (CRMP)
- Attachment A – Flows (part1)
- Attachment A – Flows (part2)
- Attachment A – Flows (part3)
- Attachment B – Water Quality (part1)
- Attachment B – Water Quality (part2)
- Attachment B – Water Quality (part3)
- Attachment G – Recreation
- Glendale Project Comments
- Glendale 2014 Application Comments