The project is located on the Connecticut River and the Holyoke Canal System (a man-made structure constructed for the purpose of power generation). It consists of three levels, referred to as First, Second, and Third Level Canals.
|Project Name||Open Square|
|LIHI Certificate Number||86|
|LIHI Effective and Expiration Dates||December 5, 2011
December 5, 2016
(extended to December 31, 2017)
|Owner||Open Square Properties, LLC|
|Location||Located on the Connecticut River and the Holyoke Canal System.|
|Installed Capacity||480 kW|
|Average Annual Generation||3,049 MWh|
The system is tiered with the first canal at the highest elevation and each subsequent canal at a lower elevation. A series of subsurface sluiceways extend between each of the canals. Many of the sluiceways contain rotating turbines that generate power. The sluiceways and canals are not considered to be navigable waterways under the Clean Water Act.
Open Square is a mixed-use development of seven historic mill buildings containing 685,000 square feet of floor area on an 8-½ acre city block located between the First and Second Level Canals of the HG&E Hydropower System. The Project occupies a small amount of space within the complex.
The canal system consists of three levels. The Project utilizes the 20 feet of head between the First Level Canal at elevation 97.5 feet msl and the Second Level Canal at elevation 77.5 feet msl. The First Level Canal is a subsystem about 6,500 ft long and running through the city of Holyoke.
HG&E owns and operates hydroelectric facilities at Holyoke Dam (the Hadley Falls Station) and in the Holyoke Canal System. Within the canal system, HG&E owns eighteen stations, two of which, Crocker Mill A and B and Crocker Mill C, are no longer operating and are scheduled for decommissioning; as with Open Square, most of the HG&E canal system hydroelectric units are located within buildings that are used for unrelated light commercial or industrial purposes. Six HG&E stations utilize water from the First Level Canal, and there is a second privately owned station, Parsons, which is similarly located but no longer operates.
The Canal System begins at a gatehouse structure located directly upstream of Hadley Falls Station. A downstream fish passage louver facility is located starting about 554 feet downstream of the canal gatehouse. The full-depth louver rack is angled downstream across the canal and ends at a bypass facility and pipe. The pipe transports migrating fish to the Hadley Falls Station tailrace. The No. 1 Overflow structure, which is located immediately downstream of the gatehouse, discharges water directly back to the Hadley Falls Station tailrace, or to the fish lift attraction water.
Open Square (a.k.a. Aubin Station) consists of two powerhouses each with single units, referred to as the D-Wheel and the G-Wheel. The D-Wheel Powerhouse is located in the northeast corner of the lower level floor of Mill 2 at Open Square. The D-Wheel unit consists of a Leffel 33-inch ‘Z’ Vertical Francis Turbine in a pressure flume with an Electric Machine Company synchronous generator installed in 1933. The system generates an average of 230 kW.
The G-Wheel powerhouse is located in the northwest corner of the lower level floor of Mill 5. The unit consists of a Leffel 33-inch ‘Z’ Vertical Francis Turbine in a pressure flume with a General Electric synchronous generator installed in 1928. The system generates an average of 250 kW.
The dam and canal system were conceived and constructed as one system by the South Hadley Falls Company starting in 1847-1848. The purpose of the system was to harness the power of the Falls by diverting water from the Connecticut River to mills for mechanical power for manufacturing. Open Square’s first mills were built and operated by the South Hadley Falls Company before the company went bankrupt in 1854 (Mill 1 dates to 1848). The first hydroelectric turbine was installed within the canal system in 1888. The Hadley Falls Dam continued to be used solely for diversion of flow until 1950 when the first hydroelectric turbine was installed; a second unit followed in 1983.
There are a total of twenty hydroelectric generating stations currently in service on the Holyoke Canal System including two owned by Open Square and seventeen that are owned and operated by HG&E [Holyoke Gas & Electric, a department of the City of Holyoke]. The canal system begins with the canal gatehouse structure located between the Hadley Falls Station and the western shore.
The Holyoke Dam is the first dam encountered by fish migrating up the Connecticut River to spawn. Providing safe and adequate passage has been a priority at the Holyoke Project since the late 1800s. Several fish passage ladders were installed between the mid 1800s and the mid-1900s. In 1955 the first fishlift was constructed at the Project. The fish passage facilities have undergone substantial modifications and improvements since that time. Today, the Holyoke Project provides excellent passage for migratory fish in the Holyoke Project area, include Atlantic salmon, American shad, blueback herring, alewife, stripped bass, American eel, lampray and shortnose sturgeon.
May 1, 2017: The Open Square Hydroelectric project has been granted an additional extension of the current certificate term. The new expiration date is December 31, 2017. See extension letter for explanation below.
December 16, 2016: The Open Square Hydroelectric project has been granted an extension of the current certificate term. The new expiration date is May 31, 2017. See extension letter for explanation below.
May 3, 2012: The Open Square Hydroelectric Project has been certified as low impact for a five year term, effective December 5, 2011 and expiring December 5, 2016.
February 5, 2012: Public comment period on application has been closed.
December 5, 2011: Open Square Properties has submitted an application for the certification of the Open Square Hydroelectric Project. Public comment period has been opened.